At 11:05 AM 4/20/2005, Roman Turovsky wrote:
> >When will big, flat-backed lutes built for renaissance
> > tuning and incorporating Kasha/Schneider bracing systems and bridge designs
> > sweep the lute world?  Why not use geared tuners?  Etc?
>Has been exhaustively discussed. Let's not whip this beached salmon back to
>life.

I know it has, and I am not remotely interested in a Kasha lute with geared
tuners, but how is changing the profile or air volume of a soundbox without
precedent, even if slight, different than any of the more radical
absurdities I've listed?  I guess I'm asking how much departure is too
much.  (If the minutiae have been hammered out in the past, forgive me; I
tend to delete things unread after a topic has descended into
squabbling.)  ...And it really isn't that pressing to me; play what you
like and call it what it is.  I'd call the Larson instruments to which I'd
linked "mandolino" in a general sense and I'd enjoy playing them, but I
would not claim them to be a reproduction of anything at all.

Best,
Eugene