David Rastall wrote:

> My point, though, was that this "effect," whatever it may be, would be
> the same no matter which composer's name was atttached to it.

But its proponents make specific claims about the structure of Mozart
(and, in rather a leap of logic, its effect on children) that would not
be true of Bach, Scriabin, Shostakovich, Hindemith, Machaut, Dowland,
or Gesualdo.  They're not true of Mozart in many cases, of course.

On Friday, Jan 6, 2006, at 08:58 America/Los_Angeles, Craig Allen wrote:

> This is from the FAQ on the Mozart Effect web site;
>
> Q.  Why is Mozart's music beneficial for learning and health?
> A.  Mozart's music is the most popular and researched music for
> helping modify attentiveness and alertness. The structural and not
> overly emotional expression helps clarify time/space perception. It is
> not overstimulating

I'm guessing they weren't using the Requiem, Don Giovanni, the last
symphonies and concertos, the slow movement of the clarinet quintet,
the final scene of Figaro, the C minor mass, the Queen of the Night's
arias...