In an orchestra the players are acting as a sequencer and their job is to
reproduce the written music accurately. The musical value comes from the
conductor - who usually has the score in front of him, but, if he's any
good, he doesn't actually need it. That's why experiments with
conductorless orchestras are generally flops.

And, no, blues isn't memorized - it's created during the performance... a
whole different art.