Vance-
I wonder if you have seriously experimented with playing this this
way? If you can stand big downloads, I will happily turn an old
recording of me playing F Da Milano (Ness 33) with just such a
technique, into an MP3, and send it to you (or anyone who is
interested)! If you know the woodcut of a lutenist from Marcolini's
Intabolatura di liuto (Venice 1536), then that will give a fair idea
of the way I play a 6 course lute. Doug Alton Smith actually suggests
that the player may be Francesco....! The main difference is that,
being tall, I cross my left leg over my right ,close to my left
ankle, and this raises the lute to a position higher up my chest,
like the player in the woodcut.
Why do I bother? Well, I feel there is an inherent conflict between
the standard LH technique taught to lutenists today(which is
basically the same as modern classical guitar technique), and the low
neck angle needed for historical thumb under RH technique. I don't
for a minute think that everyone should follow my example, and I
believe, as I said, that it is not suitable for later repertories or
for lutes with more than 6 courses-the wider neck makes it
impractical. I do find it helps in several important respects.
1.The very narrow necks of surviving 6 course lutes are usually
widened by modern makers of replicas. Mine is not, and when playing
with the neck "cradled", I find that the fact that the left hand lies
against the neck, results in the left hand fingers falling on the
strings either perpendicular to the fingerboard, or beyond
perpedicular. This lifts the pad of my (quite broad) fingertips away
from strings they might otherwise foul, while the fingernails act as
a "fence" to prevent the pad of the finger spreading out on the other
side.
2. I find that when shifting positions, I don't need to use guide
fingers so much, as the light contact of the hand on the neck serves
as a guide instead. A similar effect is apparent with rapid and
complex chord changes-it is easy to move all the fingers at once,
rather than stabilising my hand with finger contact.
3. I have a long upper body, and if I try to play with a low neck
angle, standard modern LH technique makes my left shoulder drop,
causing tension and back pain. This problem disappears  with the
thumb wrapped round the neck.

I should make it clear that while I can happily play simple music
standing up without a strap, I would alway sit down for more complex
music. It is also worth mentioning that the thumb over the neck
technique was highly developed by C19th guitar virtuosi such as
Giuliani, who wrote many passages that are almost unplayable without
fingering the 6th string with the thumb (often clearly indicated in
the notation). Fernando Sor argued against this in his tutor-I'm sure
there were similar arguments in the C16th!

Let me know if you'd like that MP3!

Best wishes

Martin