Dear all

> By the way, the whole problem of basses ringing too long was
> something that
> even was a subject for 17th century lutenists with gut strings. The
> 12 course
> lute with an extension was only shortly popular in France and then
> went out of
> fashion because the basses sounded too long.

François-Pierre Goy, one of the main musicologists for these topics
(Accords nouveaux), says that he doesn't know any proof that the 12-
course double headed lute was EVER used in France. It seems to be an
invention of a French man living in England (Jacques Gaultier). We
know these lutes from english, dutch and german paintings - but I
also never saw a picture from France.

Andreas