Dear Vance, Art, Stewart, Stuart and All,

How nice it would be indeed, Vance, if we could but sleep it off,
wake up to find it has all been a bad dream. It is a bad dream, a
living nightmare for so many people out there, troops and civilians.

It is not a subject for this list, but I have to admit that I could
not find it in myself to wish people a happy new year, on this list,
or on the French list, and really believe my words.

I shall not say here, who I think is to blame, but the events since
the invasion have unravelled like a predictable Shakespearian
tragedy. However, we are not a zone of political discussion, and that
question might not, indeed, be relevant to our list.

What does seem to be relevant, however, is that Baghdad had an
important school of Oudists. Indeed, according to Wikipedia, it was
the place of political asylum chosen by the Turkish Oudist, Chirif
Mohyi Iddin Haydar, when fleeing from political oppression in
Turkey*. There he set up a renowned lute school,  in which Mounir
Bachir (1930-1997) was his pupil <http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Mounir_Bachir> .
The situation seems complex, as the great historic centre of the Oud
appears to have been Mossul, and the most famous early musicians seem
to have been Kurds. Indeed, Mounir Bachir, himself came from Mossul,
so that the Baghdad school would perhaps have been a meeting of two
great Oud traditions.
I have no idea how much the Kurdish Oud players suffered under
Baghdad rule. I imagine that in "free" Kurdish areas, perhaps the Oud
is still thriving at the moment.

Even the Baghdad Oud school seems to have suffered from
dictatorship : Rahim Alhaj, pupil of Mounir Bachir is said to have
fled Iraq for America, Albuquerque, even before the war. 'He was
imprisoned twice by the regime of Saddam Hussein, in part for
refusing to compose musical tributes to that regime's military
adventures during the 1980's." <http://www.rahimalhaj.com/news4.html>.

I also see that Ahmed Mukhtar, coming from the Baghdad school, was
chosen by the UN with "sixteen other musicians from all over the
world to release a CD for the benefit of the victims of terrorism and
wars. (-- ). He also teaches Arabic music theory and percussion in
London colleges" <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmed_Mukhtar>.
Did he flee the dictatorship, or the war? I don't know. Perhaps a new
Oud school will develop out of all this distruction, in London and
even ironically in America.

Viewed from this narrow angle of lute playing, the situation may
appear complex; but however much music and musicians may suffer under
dictatorship, there is no doubt they certainly don't thrive in the
midst of war and barbary. I think, legitimately, on this list we can
have a thought for our fellow Oudists who still remain in the civil-
war zones of Iraq, and particularly the Baghdad school.

Let us hope that what a few heads of state began in 2002 will not
result in an end to that wonderful luth school, even if it may
survive in London and in Albuquerque --

I will admit that reducing my thoughts to the protection of Oudists
seems very selfish coming from a lute player, but as a member of the
lute list, I do not feel that I can allow myself, here, to extend my
thoughts further.

Best regards to all lutists, luthists, and oudists
Anthony

PS *Please, fellow Turkish Oudists do not think I am criticizing your
country. I honestly don't know what the exact circumstances were that
caused Chirif Mohyi Iddin Haydar's departure.