On Mar 30, 2007, at 6:41 AM, gary digman wrote:

> My point is not that he is good, in your girlfriend's sense of the
> term, but that he is popular, more popular than your girlfriend or
> I will ever be, and he is using that popularity to introduce a
> "wider audience" to the lute which is what so many on this list say
> they want.

It's certainly true that Sting has brought the lute to a wider
audience, but I wonder how much of that audience will even remember
the lute a year from now.  On two occasions in the last two months
I've heard Sting and his lute described over the media as "Sting and
his "f--king lute."  Quite possibly the whole Labyrinth thing is
beginning to bore people...

Sting has created a short-lived sort of parallel universe in which a
lute is "that thing that Sting plays."  IMO the lute world (or, as
our Exhalted Empress would put it:  "the known lute world" ;-)) will
continue on its course as if Sting never existed.

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com