On Mar 30, 2007, at 3:57 PM, Roman Turovsky wrote:

> Which empress???

You mean there's more than one?

> Yesterday I taught 2 classes of 19-year olds at NYU, invited by a
> poet-friend who teaches a History of Culture course which touches
> on the
> "mystification as a literary vehicle".

Interesting.  When I was in graduate school it was de-mystification.
Still, that was a long time ago...

> So I was asked to do a presentation
> on Sautscheckerei, my humble self in the context of literary
> mystification
> from Descartes, Chatterton, Macpherson, Merimee, Musin-Pushkin and
> other
> fine individuals....
> Dan Swenberg (of the Rebel Baroque Orchestra et al.) helped out
> with a dozen
> and a half Sarmaticae et Ruthenicae on the Renaissance lute. I
> played the
> sautscheckerei myself in the second half- baroque lute settings of and
> variations on Ukrainian songs, with some originals interspersed, nach
> Haydnisches Manier, naturlich, as a musical equivalent of Merimee's
> GUZLA.
> The picaresque aspect of the event also was certainly useful.

Very impressive!

> But before
> Sting came along we would drawn blank stares. These kids were
> genuinely
> interested.

Because you play "that thing that Sting plays."  Ho!  Ho!  Just
kidding.  Seriously, we're all "mystified" by Sting's success.

David Rastall
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com