>> My point is not that he is good, in your girlfriend's sense of the
>> term, but that he is popular, more popular than your girlfriend or
>> I will ever be, and he is using that popularity to introduce a
>> "wider audience" to the lute which is what so many on this list say
>> they want.
>
> It's certainly true that Sting has brought the lute to a wider
> audience, but I wonder how much of that audience will even remember
> the lute a year from now.  On two occasions in the last two months
> I've heard Sting and his lute described over the media as "Sting and
> his "f--king lute."  Quite possibly the whole Labyrinth thing is
> beginning to bore people...
>
> Sting has created a short-lived sort of parallel universe in which a
> lute is "that thing that Sting plays."  IMO the lute world (or, as
> our Exhalted Empress would put it:  "the known lute world" ;-)) will
> continue on its course as if Sting never existed.
> David Rastall
Which empress???
Just what fruit will the Sting caper bear is not known, but it will bear
something, and things start happening already.
Yesterday I taught 2 classes of 19-year olds at NYU, invited by a
poet-friend who teaches a History of Culture course which touches on the
"mystification as a literary vehicle". So I was asked to do a presentation
on Sautscheckerei, my humble self in the context of literary mystification
from Descartes, Chatterton, Macpherson, Merimee, Musin-Pushkin and other
fine individuals....
Dan Swenberg (of the Rebel Baroque Orchestra et al.) helped out with a dozen
and a half Sarmaticae et Ruthenicae on the Renaissance lute. I played the
sautscheckerei myself in the second half- baroque lute settings of and
variations on Ukrainian songs, with some originals interspersed, nach
Haydnisches Manier, natürlich, as a musical equivalent of Merimee's GUZLA.
The picaresque aspect of the event also was certainly useful. But before
Sting came along we would drawn blank stares. These kids were genuinely
interested.
RT

Need personalized email and website? Look no further. It's easy
with Doteasy $0 Web Hosting! Learn more at www.doteasy.com