Dear All,

I've read so much about this, I thought I might just contribute a
little.

As a rather prudish viol and theorbo player, who's very much into
authenticity and finding out the truth in music (if ever such thing
exists), I find Sting's attempt in Dowland really enjoyable
(especially when he sings in tune!).

Remember when Nigel Kennedy came into the scene and brought out that
really different Vivaldi's Four Seasons? Doesn't anyone else find it
strange that his interpretation for that time was probably the most
historically-spirited thing that was ever done? He had harpsichord,
guitars/lutes, and not to mention all that ornamentation! I will not
be surprised if some of those Italian groups such Europa Galante and
Giardino Armonico were a little bit inspired by that.

So, back to Sting. Mark my words, in time, we will come to some
balance in performing Dowland, and we will have (in some part) to
thank Sting. In the bigger picture of things, we haven't really
performed early music long enough for it to develop, and anyhow, it
is in the nature of all things that everything will change!

Thanks.

Shaun Ng

skype: shaunkfng
tel: +61 (0)410 820228
msn: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.shaunng.blogspot.com

N.B. Remember how Beethoven symphonies used to sound like before
Roger Norrington?