Why would you want a thinner Pistoy?  If you want that, it would be best,
in my opinion, to also lower the octave tension & play overall with light
tension.

In my experience, to merely put on a smaller diameter Pistoy, or other
plain gut, would not sound any brighter.

ed

At 02:37 PM 11/3/2007 +0100, Anthony Hind wrote:

>To what extent would it be possible to raise the tension of the
>octave to lower the tension of the diapason, so as to obtain a
>thinner Pistoy instead of a Gimped or a loaded string. Could one
>avoid using a Gimped or loaded string by this method? I assume not,
>but I am thinking of Satoh, who I thought used relatively thin
>Pistoys instead of gimped strings.
>Anthony

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street