You cannot argue with a Guitar player about fixed metal frets, especially if their only exposure to the Lute is at a distance. They have to have first hand experience with gut frets and the fineness of the sound before they start to grasp the significance of them. Don't even try discussing different temperament, that's like having that discussion with a piano player. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Narada" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Alan Hoyle'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "'Lute List'" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 3:44 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: historical lute stringings

A tiny dot on the 3rd, 5th and 7th for me, only because as a geeetarist I
like the reference it gives me, so I've carried it over to the lute.

I'd also like the lists opinion on fixed metal frets, I had a rather heated discussion with a classical guitarist recently who was very critical of what
he called the 'plastic frets' that we lutenists use.