Actually, I also wonder whether the arguments for low tension stringing (Satoh) are not similar to those in favour of loaded strings (MP). Both argue in relation to small historic lute holes.

The main difference is that MP argues also from the colour of the strings in paintings.

Another argument could be from iconography showing the RH position of lute players, who in the Baroque period, play nearer the bridge. However, I don't think that allows you to discriminate between the two hypotheses. I believe that with low tension strings, or with loaded strings, the player has to play nearer the bridge, so this position in imagery does not, I think differentiate the two hypotheses.
Regards
Anthony