Dear Denys,

I think it was about the time of the Utrecht lute conference
where mention was made of Mrs. Minkoff's practice of retouching
her facsimiles.  She attended and took Bob Spencer's criticism at
one of the sessions with typical good humor.  The Minkoff
facsimile first dates from 1978.  Well before the criticism was
expressed.  She stopped the practice immediately.  I wonder if
she re-did the Spinacino facsijmile for the 1998ish reprint.

That's a very interesting analysis you have made from a
comparison of the two sets of images.  During WW_II the ex-Berlin
prints were stored in a monestary in Poland.  It could well have
been cold and damp.  As I recall, however, they were very
carefully packed.

I'll have to tell you about some other instances of publisher's
corrections.  You are quite correct in looking at all known
copies of a print, if possible.  And in this case of the same
print.

==AJN (Boston, Mass.)

This week's free download from Classical Music Library is
_Prokofiev's
Sonata for Violin and Piano No. 1, Op. 80___

Go to my web page:
http://mysite.verizon.net/arthurjness/

For some free scores, go to:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzepq31c/arthurjnesslutescores/