Dear Arthur,
Your information about the Minkoff facsimilies is
very useful to know. My own copy of the Spinacino
facsimile is dated 1992, but I suspect that the
images from the original edition may have been
re-used for later re-prints. Working that out for
sure would be a study in itself!

I find it fascinating that for years we have only known
Spinacino through the Minkoff edition taken from the pre-war
photos in Paris, which made them our primary source for
this work. Now these new images will also become a primary
source for those of us unable to visit Cracow to see the
original.Stephen Fryer is of course right in pointing out
that it's presumably the slight distortion of the pages
themselves that causes the stave lines to look distorted.
It seems clear from the Minkoff print that this distortion
was not evident in the photographs used to make their facsimile,
so the damage has occurred since then. So we really need to
use the Minkoff facsimile and the new images now when studying this
source.

At first I thought that seeing these new images would not
tell us anything new about Spinacino's music, but now I'm
not so sure. Just casually looking through the new images
this evening f.37v of the Libro Primo caught my eye -
in the bottom stave, 7th complete measure, the fourth event
looks like a very indistinct '2' and someone has faintly
added a 2 below the stave line, plus a '1' (or an extension
of the bar line). In the Minkoff print all that can be seen
for that event is a fingering dot and a crotchet sign - no
tablature numeral at all. Perhaps there may not be many more
instances like that, but they are certainly worth looking out
for.

Do tell us more about the publishers 'corrections' you know
about. The more one learns about these things, the more
apparent it becomes that 'facsimilies'are not all that we
think they are!

Best wishes,

Denys