Denys Stephens wrote:

Secondly, many of the stave lines in the online images
are very distorted, but in the Minkoff print they are dead
straight. So the stave lines must surely have been straight
when the Paris photos were taken. I wonder if the distortion that
has since occurred might have been from the book being in damp
conditions during the war years? At least, it's good to know
that Petrucci didn't print those wobbly lines!

The lines are straight; it is only the 'cockling' of the pages that makes them appear slightly wavy. You can see the effect at the top and bottom edges of the pages too. It doesnt take very much in the way of dampness to cause this to happen; very much and the pages either mildew or stick together. At what point (or points?) in the book's history this occurred I couldn't guess.

--
Stephen Fryer
Lund Computer Services