Jean-Marie
        Rob was wanting to find a compromise that would allow him to play 6c
italian Renaissance music as well as late Dowland. A 7c can manage
that repertoire, but I think the extra course of an 8c would give too
confused a sound for 6c music.

Just as Rob is doing now, I was looking for this sort of compromise,
when I ordered my 7c lute. I knew that both Liz Kenny and Jacob
Heringman had used this same 7C Gerle for this sort of compromise.
Such 7c lutes did indeed exist at that the same time as 6c lutes for
the Italian repertoire (but not 8c lutes, so far as i know). Jacob
used this 7c Gerle, on his Siena recording for a Four part Fantasia
from the  Medici Lute  Book,
track 7. http://tinyurl.com/3bcaut , but also for the few Dance
pieces, as for example:
track 24.  http://tinyurl.com/2nn9kz

I figured that because of its Bologna form, it would do for the
Italian repertoire, and because of its 7c status, it would be alright
for most Elizabethan music, too, even if perhaps, by that period
multi ribbed Paduan lutes might have become more popular.

Indeed, I notice this Dowland concert in which Jacob used the very
same lute to accompany Ellen Hargis both for Dowland songs and lute
solos
http://tinyurl.com/324kog

I don't think an 8c would be really acceptable for the Francesco side
of this compromise.
If Rob wants to go for 64 cms then perhaps a Frei shape  might be
better than a Gerle, and probably better than, say a muti-ribbed for
Francesco.

However, if you begin accepting a wider compromise, then why stop at
8c, why not go for a large 10c multi ribbed lute (http://tinyurl.com/
2xvc5j) and have the pleasure of sounding the depths of  late
Renaissance such as Bacheler, or transitional music such as Cuthbert
Hely. I am sure this is the TO repertoire that would really draw Rob,
unless I am very much mistaken.
Best regards
Anthony

(*both were apparently acquaintances of Lord Herbert of Cherbury,
Hely might have been his lute tutor, and Lord Herbert may have been
involved in negotiating Jacques's exile to England).
According to my neighbour Miguel Serdoura  this concert was
excellent. A small part of it can be heard in the CD of the Lawes'
songs in which, LK  plays the Cuthbert
Hely pieces, on a large multi-ribbed lute (by Andrew Rutherford, I
believe) with a dark sound http://tinyurl.com/ypnlbk, and it seems
just right for the sombre music of Cuthbert Hely, in the Vieil Ton.