Why play a single manual harpsichord, when two is more?
It is a good question, is there more essential lutiness in a niner?
I think so. but that is subjective.
Historically, you can argue pretty persuasively for 9, but there sure
were ten course instruments as well.
Also, is a good 10c better than a bad 9c, if makers have more
experience with 10?
I think so.

Joni Mitchell said something's lost but something's gained, which
seems to be true for adding more courses, but which one is right for the music?
For Dowland, I would want 7 or 9.
But you can play capirola on ten. And most everything else.

And there is something about a ten course....
So the answer is to buy more lutes.
Just don't throw the small ones back.

dt