Dear Anthony and All,

I assume the "Martin" you refer to is me. I don't remember ever saying that I thought Dowland changed from 7c to 9c without ever using an 8c, or that any of these changes coincided with his change from TI to TO. We simply don't know the answer to any of these questions.

I do think it likely that the change from TI to TO is related to the increase in number of courses, and also to the change in musical style from equal-voiced polyphony to a more treble-and-bass style.

Best wishes,

Martin

P.S. A 10c can always be retuned to look like a 9c lute, but with a 10/11c lute you have to change the nut and all the strings - not something you want to do every week. Well, actually you could compromise on absolute pitch and leave the 5th to 10th courses as they are, putting thicker strings on the first four courses to allow them to be tuned down. Just to make this clear, imagine your 10c lute is in nominal A, so the 6th course is the same as in the Dm tuning 11c version:
10c ----> 11c
1. a'              f'  (down a major third)
2. e'              d' (down a tone)
3. b               a (down a tone)
4. g               f  (down a tone)
5. d              d
6. A             A
7. G             G
8. F              F
9. E              E
10.D             D
11.                C

If you did this with a 67cm lute you would probably be tuning the top string to f' in the old tuning so in the new tuning it would be d' flat, a very low pitch for this string length.

Anthony Hind wrote:

However, I was mainly thinking about your decision not to change to TI, and I wonder whether Dowland did not change to TO at the same time as he took up the 9c, as Martin claims he did (I mean take up the 9c, never adopting the 8c),