Dear Martin:

Thanks for your response.  Concerning graces, or ornaments, in the earlier
repertory, I think it is justifiable if applied with discretion, based on
indications in the Capirola ms. at least.  For intabulations of vocal music,
probably just a few rules ought to apply.

First, one should not obscure the clarity of line in polyphony.  Second, one
should use imitative graces at points of imitation.  Third, one should imagine
a choral director's arched brow if the ornaments draw too much attention to
themselves.

Best wishes,

Ron Andrico

www.mignarda.com> Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:04:10 +0100> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED];
lute@cs.dartmouth.edu> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: [LUTE] Re: new piece
of the month> > Dear Ron and All,> > Thanks for pointing out the cognate - I
wasn't familiar with Ness 75. > It does, however, reinforce my impression that
the Marsh piece is > probably an intabulation of a vocal piece, and Ness 75 is
yet another > example of a piece which makes use of thematic material from a
vocal or > instrumental original while not actually being an intabulation. Just
> like my last piece of the month, in fact!> > One of my correspondents noticed
that I played no ornaments in this > piece, and it reminded me of an issue
which I have never quite got > around to bringing up, so maybe now is a good
time:> > I think by now most of us are used to the idea that the large number
of > ornament signs in English 17th C MSS like Board and ML reflect the style >
of the time, in other words the old guys !
 played lots of ornaments and > the fact that we don't is rather unHIP. It has
generally been assumed > that this amount of "twiddly business" is a 17th C
phenomenon and > reflects French influence. On the contrary I think lutenists
like John > Johnson played lots of ornaments, it's just that they are not
notated in > some of the earlier MSS (like Marsh). But what about Francesco da
> Milano? There's no doubt that contemporary keyboard players (e.g. > Sancta
Maria, first half 16th C) played lots of ornaments and this was a > practice
which continued throughout the 16th C (another keyboardist, > Diruta, wrote an
important treatise in 1594). I think lutenists > probably played lots of
ornaments as well, and perhaps our modern > performances (mine included) would
strike the old guys as rather bare. > We are very concerned with the notion of
the lute imitating vocal music > and maintaining "pure" polyphony, but perhaps
we are rather out of step > with the old guys on this one.> !
 > What do you think? Perhaps we should try adding ornaments to!
  Francesco > and Co.? I have tried, of course, but maybe not seriously enough.
Just > to clarify, by "ornaments" I mean "graces", i.e. mordents, trills, >
turns, etc. played with the left hand. Of course there are many > examples of
embellished pieces by Francesco and others where many notes > have been added
in the form of (plucked) diminutions, etc. and that is > also something we
should consider doing.> > Best wishes,> > Martin> > > Ron Andrico wrote:> > >
Dear Martin & all:> > > > Thanks for posting this fantasia from the Marsh book,
and I like the > > way you have repaired the funny bits. I have chosen this
fantasia > > several times as a quiet interlude for communion when playing > >
for church services, just repeating or extending as necessary. If it > > sounds
familiar, it is a cognate of Francesco's 'Richercha Del > > medesimo', f. 37,
Cavalcanti ms. Brussels (Ness 75).> > > > Best wishes,> > > > Ron Andrico> >
www.mignarda.com <http://www.mignarda.com>> > > >> >> !
http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL