From: "Stewart McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dear Roman,

The paper is indeed interesting, although I cannot be sure who wrote it.
One Dan Hill, a violinist.

In the paper, you are referred to as "Roman Turovsky-Savchuk". Is this
really your full name? If so, is your choice of the name "Sautscheck"
for your own compositions, derived from the last part of your name?
Yes. I couldn't have invented such a mouthful...

A few years ago, I told a friend about your compositions for lute, and
how you used the pseudonym "Sautscheck". He was much amused. He is a
retired lecturer in German, and so is familiar with the German language.
He said that "Sautscheck" has certain pejorative connotations, but I
I am unaware of that. There are a dozen S's in the German notebook.

cannot remember the details. Is there a joke with the name "Sautscheck"
which we are missing?
Not really. Back in the old country the connotation, is, well, rather proletarian.

I think the author of the paper would have been interested to know that
Elias Mertel listed the names of the composers whose work was included
in his anthology, but he deliberately failed to mention who actually
wrote which piece. He argued in his introduction, that he wanted each
piece to be judged on its own merits.
Worth mentioning to Dan Hill.

RT