Dear Stewart,
there is in fact one source stating that the ending -ček does in fact mean
"from Czech country"
(http://www.oxfordjctgenealogy.com/oxfordnamesexplained.htm). I do not believe
they are right.I am not at all an expert, but I think that it is just the
diminutive suffix -ek which is also quite common in Poland. There are many
names ending with -ček, one will remember Alexander Dubček.

About 1 0/00 of Czechs are called Souček=knot, this name is among the top
100. Germans would probably transcribe this as Sautschek or Sautschek.

Czech people would pronounce the -ch more or less as we do here, with the
unpleasant -ch as in Ach or Nacht.

Best wishes
Gernot