Dear All:

    Are we really agreed on a double first course being best for pol=
   yphony? I like to think of a lute as having three voices: the top
   string is= the soprano, the doubled second and third courses are the
   altos, and the o= ctave fourth, fifth, and sixth are the tenors and
   basses. With three distin= ct sounds from three types of courses, the
   polyphony might be clearer, thou= gh perhaps not as "blended." Any
   thoughts on this?

    Also, on a completely different matter. When the outdoor weather= dips
   below freezing and the humidity drops, I turn on my humidifier. I try=
   to keep the humidity in the rooms where the lutes are above 40 percent.
   Do= any of the luthiers or other experts know what the "ideal" humidity
   is?
   Cheers,

   Jim