And one more thought- I would bet that a lot of the historic lute
players- after the more universal use of the doubled first- reverted
to a single by simply letting letting nature take its course. One of
the strings pops- but the player just keeps on going. And going.
Hopkinson Smith told me at a workshop that that was how he came to
use only a single first on his vihuela. If I remember correctly, Dan
Larson saw wear marks on the bridge consistent with a single first
when he carefully examined the Chambure artifact in Paris. He also
saw wear evidence indicating octaves beginning at the 4th course.

I might also add that low tension makes clean playing of any double
course significantly more difficult with synthetics than with gut. I
currently have my d-minor Baroque lute lightly strung according to
Toyohiko's recommended tensions- but with synthetics, and it is more
difficult to play everything cleanly- I should "gut" the thing or
crank up the tension a little.

Dan