Herb,

I am a little puzzled by what you write.  Guessing at what you might be
doing, I would say that your fundamental in roughly at 300Hz.  Observing a
frequency in that range for 0.3 seconds gives you about 100 oscillations.
With 100 oscillations, the accuracy of the measured frequency cannot
exceed 1%, because you might have failed to account for roughly a cycle.
Whatever your do, Fourier transformations included, suffers from this
fundamental limitation, and to get better accuracy you need either more
time or a higher frequency.

In other words, given that 1200 x log_2(101/100) = 17, a measurement of a
frequency in the 300Hz range derived from a 0.3 sec. observation cannot
produce a result with an error smaller than about 10 cents, which is
bigger than the effects you seem to talking about, but maybe I am
incorrectly interpreting your email.

Peter.

  On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Herbert Ward wrote:

> Using computerized Fourier analysis, I measured spectra
> of lute sound, using all strings in courses 1-6, plucked
> with good tone.
>
> Several unexpected features cropped up.
>
> 1. The pitch of a harmonic often shifts over the duration
> of the note, up to 10 cents.
>
> 2. The volumes of the harmonics often change relative
> to each other.  Sometimes this can be a strong and
> surprising effect, as when the fundamental is basically
> absent during the initial 0.3 second, and then assumes
> dominance over the harmonics as the note dies away.
>
> 3. The harmonics' pitches are not consistent with each other,
> especially during the initial 0.3 second.  For example,
> the fundamental can be at -4 cents, and the first harmonic
> (an octave above the fundamental) can be at +4 cents.
>
> These observations provide an ample hypothesis for tuner
> instability, but unfortunately suggest no solution.

the next auto-quote is:
True virtue is life under the direction of reason.
(Baruch Spinoza)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881