On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Herbert Ward wrote:

> Thanks for the note.  I did indeed observe that the peaks in the spectrum
> broadened as the observation region was decreased.  However, I made the
> assumption that the peak centroids remained unmoved despite the broadening,
> and thus I thought my results unaffected.
>
> It seems the validity of my assumption can be easily checked by using
> a tone from an electronic device and doing the Fourier integral over
> many different observation times, varying both in length and start
> time.  I'll do this in the next few days.

I calculated the spectral density of a cosine over a finite interval. The
width of the central peak does indeed do what it must, i.e., it increases
as the interval decreases, but I could not come up with any simple
mechanism that would shift the maximum of the curve noticeably.  In other
words, my calculation seems to confirm your assumption, and the shift
needs some explanation other than the being the result of an arbitrary,
ill-defined window function (see e.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_function).

Maybe the following qualitative argument explains your observed shift to
lower frequencies.  Initially, all the vibrational energy is in the
vibrating string. Then other parts of the lute start to vibrate too, which
means that the the body of the lute drains energy out of the string, which
provides an effective damping mechanism.  If we can consider the vibrating
string as a damped harmonic oscillator, it would indeed vibrate at a lower
frequency than an undamped string.

After a while the whole object, body and string, approaches a semblance of
equilibrium and in the process the frequency increases as the fast initial
damping ceases.  It would make sense that this whole process happens much
faster than the ultimate damping of the sound.  Unfortunately, I do not
know how verify all of this in a couple of minutes, but it should not be
too difficult to come up with a simple model consisting of a bunch of
coupled oscillators.

Peter.

the next auto-quote is:
When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow
their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.
(Stephen Jay Gould)
/\/\
Peter Nightingale                  Telephone (401) 874-5882
Department of Physics, East Hall   Fax (401) 874-2380
University of Rhode Island         Kingston, RI 02881