> I am a little puzzled by what you write.  Guessing at what you might be
> doing, I would say that your fundamental in roughly at 300Hz.  Observing a
> frequency in that range for 0.3 seconds gives you about 100 oscillations.
> With 100 oscillations, the accuracy of the measured frequency cannot exceed
> 1%, because you might have failed to account for roughly a cycle. Whatever
> your do, Fourier transformations included, suffers from this fundamental
> limitation, and to get better accuracy you need either more time or a higher
> frequency.
>
> In other words, given that 1200 x log_2(101/100) = 17, a measurement of a
> frequency in the 300Hz range derived from a 0.3 sec. observation cannot
> produce a result with an error smaller than about 10 cents, which is bigger
> than the effects you seem to talking about, but maybe I am incorrectly
> interpreting your email.

Thanks for the note.  I did indeed observe that the peaks in the spectrum
broadened as the observation region was decreased.  However, I made the
assumption that the peak centroids remained unmoved despite the broadening,
and thus I thought my results unaffected.

It seems the validity of my assumption can be easily checked by using
a tone from an electronic device and doing the Fourier integral over
many different observation times, varying both in length and start
time.  I'll do this in the next few days.