On Thu, Jan 1, 2009, Herbert Ward <wa...@physics.utexas.edu> said:

> Using computerized Fourier analysis, I measured spectra
> of lute sound, using all strings in courses 1-6, plucked
> with good tone.

The lute is a complex generator.

You have cross-couplings between the strings of a course, and other
courses as well as with the top.

The act of plucking stretches the string, raising the fundamental pitch,
as the string vibrations yield energy the tension decreases, lowering
pitch.

I suspect the reflection of each wave develops the harmonics, they may not
be present initially, so some time-lag will be seen in their history;
perhaps different time lags for each harmonic.

Try more experiments with some strings dampened by felt to isolate
coupling issues.

--
Dana Emery