Dear David,
Thank you for your reply. I didn't mean to get controversial and I understand
your point very well.  Moreover, being a lefty - including for lute playing -
I know what you mean when you speak of "backwards" movements, but I am quite
sure my memory"works both ways" ;-).
Lewis Carroll is a fascinating writer indeed...

Happy trillin' anyway !

Best wishes,

Jean-Marie Poirier

======= 29-01-2009 13:37:33 =======

>Dear Jean-Marie,
>Thanks for you detailed response.
>
>I would be happy to refute your points one by one, but my main
>point--in fact my only point, really--
>that everyone is playing the ornament backwards, is the one you don't discuss.
>
>I'm sorry about the spelling of Broderie, although it is interesting
>that Broderie is itself a "doublet", an etymological term for a word
>that is spelled wrong--the original derives from the French "border."
>So "broder" is an early example of a word that is spelled wrong.
>I tend to use the spellings that I see in the sources, and many of
>these are spelled wrong, like "baricades misterieuses" of Couperin or
>"Pigmalion" of Rameau.
>I also make lots of spelli nmistakes :)
>
>I think it is important to play the music in a new way, especially if
>it is based on an old way. And that is all--there's no right and wrong.
>I encourage people to try out these ornamnents. Some may think it is
>backwards, some may think it is forwards, I think it is being played backwards.
>These are not my ornaments! I don't need to defend them, they have
>survived 400 years just fine, please play them if you find it fun.
>Any which way.
>
>Best wishes,
>David Tayler
>

>`I don't understand you,' said Alice. `It's dreadfully confusing!'
>
>`That's the effect of living backwards,' the Queen said kindly:
>
>`it always makes one a little giddy at first --
>
>`Living backwards!' Alice repeated in great astonishment. `I never
>heard of such a thing!'
>
>` -- but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways.'
>
>`I'm sure mine only works one way.' Alice remarked. `I can't remember
>things before they happen.'
>
>`It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' the Queen remarked.
>--Through the Looking-Glass
>

>At 01:17 AM 1/29/2009, you wrote:
>>======= 29-01-2009 01:14:46 =======
>> >I only mention the Monteclair because it is so
>> >readily available, and explains the key points.
>> >I think that for most of the basic things, that
>> >is fine. It is translated into English, and so on.
>> >Experts will always prefer the primary
>> >sources--mainly the music itself. Most people
>> >will not want to read twenty books when they can
>> >look at one eight page document.
>> >
>>I am sorry to disagree David. Too many musicians tend to
>>consider  written information as secondary or boring wheareas I do
>>think it is not. And your encouragement to be happy with "one eight
>>page document." instead of a thorough, honest and valuable research
>>into such a field as, say, ornamentation, doesn't sound fair to me.
>
>DT I just said that; we agree on this point. We are saying the same
>thing.  Besides, I'm not encouraging anyone to be happy with an eight
>page document, never have, never will. But if you have a student that
>is taking a summer course, and you have an hour per day, you can't'
> [...]

jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr
http://poirierjm.free.fr
29-01-2009