Shorter DT:
We are playing it backwards. The sources agree, the music agrees.
You can see the differences, including the changed harmonies and changed position of the trill itself:

http://voicesofmusic.org/trill.html

Note that this is one example, there are a thousand ways to play this trill, but they mainly have this long appogiatura. I prefer the 2/3rds rule, but there are different ways to do Long Short, as long as it isn't Short Long. I look at this as a fantastic opportunity to be on the cutting edge, and the music sounds radically different when performed in this way.

Skip the rest. It's dull.

Long version:

I only mention the Monteclair because it is so readily available, and explains the key points. I think that for most of the basic things, that is fine. It is translated into English, and so on. Experts will always prefer the primary sources--mainly the music itself. Most people will not want to read twenty books when they can look at one eight page document.

Basically, when applying French ornamentation you are looking at the multiple sources for the theory, and then the multiple sources for the practice.
For example, any ornamentation chart can be derived from the "doubles"
The process is simple, you identify the interval, look in the double, paste it into the chart. The composers have left thousands of clear examples. If you don't want to use primary sources, you can rely on premixed recipes, such as the article in the Grove, In other words, the ornaments can be reverse engineered. The sources are easily reconciled.

Brouderie is too big a topic to go into here. I don't think of it as colloquial, however. It is essential for playing lute music, and probably is related to earlier English and French styles.

To say that the lute players differ from the mainstream is an interesting idea, but I look at it differently. Since most of the ornaments are written out in the doubles, using primary sources, one can see what the ornaments really are.
We can then see if the music is different.
And then you can say, well, there few examples of this kind of lute ornamnent in French music. The lute players were trying to be different. However, I don't see that. In fact, if you look at ornamentation charts they tend to be exhaustive--they cover almost all of the ways to get from note A to note B.
Even the unmeasured preludes cover most of the ornamnents.
But if you have looked at all the doubles, all the cadences, all the brouderie and say the lute ornaments are different, I would be very interested in the work. And then, we would know for sure--it would not be speculation. I've looked at thousands of these pieces--I'm always struck by the similarities.

The real question revolves around the appogiatura: is everyone playing it backwards? Is it Sdrawkcab? And the answer is, yes. And here I cited Monteclair because most sources agree that the appogiatura is long--specifically 1/2 or 2/3 the note length. And in the performance of lute solos, lute players invariably perform these notes shorter than that--much shorter. In fact, 1/3 or less than the note length. And that is backwards, like a Scotch snap. Or a French snap, since they had it is well.

I don't really care--I think people can play the solos however they want. If you have read all the primary sources, if you have looked at the doubles, cadences & brouderie, and you say, you know, I just prefer to play it backwards, fine.
Play it backwards.
But I don't really think that is the case. I think this is simply a modern tradition and no one wants to change it--it is harder on the lute to play the appogiaturas longer, and you have to study the voice leading as well. It is slightly more work. Few people will do it; the best players will solve the technical problems--they always will.

Here is a clear, parallel example: if you look at modern lute performance, the trills are most of the time played on the "easy" positions.
Is that historical? Of course not.

If I look back at all the ornamnentation classes over the last thirty years I cannot cite a single example of anyone who had read in may classes:

Singing style at the Opera in the Rameau period.  (Paris:
Champion; Geneve: Slatkine, 1986) Music. In French. See RILM
1987-00887-bs.    Collection: Jean-Philippe Rameau

and of the Monteclair--available in English--only two people in thirty years. And they read it in English, which is fine. And that is maybe 600-800 students on just that topic. So the info needs to be made easily accessible, and teachers of baroque lute need to at least tell their students about it even if they teach it differently.

So I think it is, as far as the appogiatura--and that is only one point of many--we have recorded all the operas with the wrong ornaments and pronounciation--
we have it backwards.

Since we now have youtube, you can see exactly how these notes are now being played, but you can hear them on the hundreds of recordings of French music as well. Julianne Baird's old but great recording of French Cantatas demonstrates most of the main ornaments beautifully.

We need a lute recording that does the same--a "goto" disk.

But let's be practical--you are suggesting that Monteclair is not on point because he is later, but is his description true and accurate for most 17th century music? NB: it is the practice that we are interested in, and here I think, quite simply, that our modern practice plays the appogiatura backwards. I don't think anyone will admit to it, but it does create the opportunity to rerecord, reperform these ornaments in line with what many singers, keyboard players, winds players are now doing.
A big opportunity.

dt

"David Tayler" <vidan...@sbcglobal.net> schrieb:
>    Have you looked at the Principes de musique  of Monteclair, because
>    that I think is one of the most important sources for ornamentation
>    practice,

There's certainly no argument about the importance of Montéclair's book.
1736 is a bit late, though, regarding composers of Mesangeau's
generation (1638), don't you think?

>    and then  the airs avec doubles of Lambert for the brouderie
>    style you can feather in.

That was a bit too colloquial for me, I'm afaid. What is brouderie, and
what does feather in mean?
And how do airs de court by Michel Lambert (several volumes 1660-1710),
father-in-law to Lully, elucidate, and relate to, ornaments in French
baroque lute music (with French lute composers trying to differ from
contemporary mainstream music-making as much as they could)?

Mathias