No, it hasn't! The fakes you are talking about (well, assuming I understand you correctly, such as all those 'Franciolini's and the like) are blooming obvious fakes and have nothing to do with 'exact replicas'. Although, curiously enough, they were considered as such and / or genuine originals some 30+ years ago and perhaps even now ... in some remote corners of the globe. Anyway, I wouldn't in any way be taking 'historical' fakes into consideration here but quite exact, shall I say, subtle things. And in no way I'm trying to discourage anybody from buying an 'exact replica' nowadays if there is one up for grabs. One gets what one believes in.

Alexander

David Tayler wrote:
Let's assume that 30 percent of these old instruments are fakes, which is a reasonable assumption. Maybe the number is higher, maybe it is lower. But a good percentage of them are fakes, of course.
Then it is possible to make an exact replica, because it has already been done.
dt