On Feb 5, 2009, at 2:24 AM, David Tayler wrote:

> I'm talking about the fakes that no one knows are fakes--the thirty
> percent that we know must be fakes, but we don't know which ones
> they are.

If no one knows they're fakes, how do we know they must be fakes?

Here's Mark Twain writing about "Old St. Paul's" in London:

The iron railings cannot be too much admired. They were designed and
constructed by Ralph Benson, of No. 9 Grace Church Street, Fen Church
Street, Upper Terrace, Tottenham Court Road, Felter Lane, London, C.
E., by special appointment blacksmith to His Royal Majesty, George
III, of gracious memory, and were done at his own shop, by his own
hands, and under his own personal supervision. Relics of this great
artistÂ’s inspiration are exceedingly rare, and are valued at enormous
sums; however, two shovels and a horseshoe made by him are on file at
the British Museum, and no stranger should go away from London
without seeing them. One of the shovels is undoubtedly genuine, but
all authorities agree that the other one is spurious. It is not known
which is the spurious one, and this is unfortunate, for nothing
connected with this great man can be deemed of trifling importance.