As I recall - Edlinger routinely manufactured "conversions" of "earlier Tiffenbrucker" instruments.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Batov" <alexander.ba...@vihuelademano.com>
To: "lute-cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 9:01 AM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: was trench fill now exact replica

On and on and on it goes ... I'm afraid I've got no time to engage in empty rhetoric here; if only I had been a historian ... Anyway, why not roll up your sleeves and take up some practical steps in sorting out all those fakes that no one knows about and then report us back on your findings, that would be great. And I'll keep my eyes peeled, whatever that means historically.

Alexander

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Tayler" <vidan...@sbcglobal.net>