>    >>> Rob MacKillop <luteplay...@googlemail.com> 9/10/2009 9:00 AM >>>
>       It's no big deal. Some instruments attract different sexes. Flutes
>    for
>       instance attract girls more than boys, well at least in the schools
>       I've had anything to do with over the years. Same with clarinet. I
>       don't know why.

Recorders and tin-whistles are inexpensive, relatively robust, and fairly
easy to come by in the smaller sizes that are well suited to childrens
hands.

Flutes require a sensitive mouth, perhaps different than that required for
brass or double reeds; I find all the winds possible but flute difficult
enough that I dont play it as a result.  Clarinet was easier to take up,
but still gives me trouble fingering over the break; it also has far too
many keys.  I find racket/kortholt/duclian far easier to cope with than a
clarinet in that regard.
--
Dana Emery