When I first played the lute, back in the early '70s, I essentially
   played only ensemble music.  My technique was quite limited, but I
   could do well with a single line of part music.  And at the early music
   workshops I attended back then ( headed by a lutenist but for all
   instruments and voices ),  only ensemble music was played by the
   attending lutenists -  or lute songs.  No solos.  A memorable event for
   me was spending most of an evening reading through Guillaume Dufay
   trios with two other lutenists.  Of course, the amount of music
   available as part music is almost limitless, much like the solo music.
   Ironically, I so enjoyed all this ensemble playing that I thought why
   limit myself to 'early' music and so took up the cello to play ensemle
   music (especially string quartets) of later eras.  Learning this
   instrument proved to be a great challenge, and consequently my lute
   languished unplayed in my closet until recently.   Ironically again, I
   began to think about all the solo music available for the lute -  and
   to lose some motivation to play only etudes and scales when alone on my
   cello - so out came the lute.  Now, I'm working hard at being able to
   play the solo literature, but would also like to find some players for
   ensemble music.  So. . . . I think the lutenist has the best of both
   worlds; an almost infinite treasure chest of ensemble music (vocal or
   instrument non-specific) and also of solo music.  And that's not even
   including continuo playing!

   Ned