BTW, it would a single untrue gut string (and they rarely true) to completely render useless all notions of temperamental precision.
Take T.Satoh's Weichenberger CD, and peruse it!
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Probert" <probe...@gmail.com>
To: "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@gmail.com>
Cc: "Lutelist" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 25, 2009 8:23 PM
Subject: Re: [LUTE] Re: New lute music

Roman wrote:

RT> ...and some early music playable only in ET.

I haven't run across that argument before.  Can you point me in the
direction of some examples?

As an aside, and I ask as a straight question meaning no offence, I
would be interested to know what makes any music only playable one
temperament and not another.  Surely any music can be played on any
instrument capable of playing it, even if it doesn't sound well (back to
the original thread of this conversation).  Are you suggesting that
there was certain period music that would just sound completely horrible
in just, or meantone?  That doesn't make sense to me, though I am open
to be convinced.

. mark