Wanting really to be frindly I continue:

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:42:09 -0400, "Roman Turovsky" <r.turov...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Not really.

Not really what?

> There is no contradiction between ET and preJSB styles either.

Even after JSB there never was any ET for many, many years! For example
Chopin never met ET. ET is an invention of 20th century.

> In my opinion ET lends ANY music noble and unaffected delivery.

Just listen to, let us say, Antonio Cabezon, or any other keyboard guy of
16th c. in ET and "good temperament", and tell your feelings.. (You said
"ANY music")

> And there is no necessity of liking dodecaphony if you like ET.

I do agree. But is there really any other reason of liking ET than the want
to feel equally every possible interval, chord. key or any sequence of
notes, starting where ever? Do you really want to hear - let us say -
F-major sound like E-major?

The F-major - to me - is very soft, happy and royal, and btw. also green to
me; the E-major is much more sharp and angry, and btw. to me its colour is
blue. And what is most intersting to me, is that in the so called "baroque"
tuning (a'=415Hz) and in the modern tuning (a'=440Hz) those characteristics
follow the name of the key? Or better said, players tune their instruments
so...

Is it so?

And an entertaining poll: What is the colour of your F-major and E-major?
Those two are clearest to me: to me there are no other alternatives to
these two. D-major perhaps could be yellow? A-minor grey possible? C-major
white? Well, that's enough...

Best,

Arto

> I am
> certainly no fan of the former, and it can be done in any temperament
> anyway. Current forms of neomodernism are not pitch-dependent, and often
> avoid all definite pitch (as well as meter).
> As to actual temperaments- none are absolute, and even fewer are
> sufficiently stable to discuss.
>
> Another point -
> There is a belief that intonational espression is largely a product of
ET,