Choosing a musical instrument seems to me to be a tricky thing.  For
   years I owned two cellos.  After playing one for a few months I would
   switch and really like the "new" one.  A few months later and I would
   rediscover the things I likes about the other one.  In a way, it was a
   remedy for any boredom that might be creeping into my daily practice
   routine - a different sound and feel to the revisited instrument.
   Ultimately I sold what I actually had concluded was the 'better'
   instrument - those I played with thought so and it did project better
   than the other - simply because the top string was brighter than I
   could quite get used to.  So, yes, as David says, it's how the
   instrument sounds under your own ear that ends up being the most
   important issue.

   Now I'm finding a similar situation with two lutes.  One is a more
   expensive instrument than the other; finer craftsmanship and lighter
   construction, and more responsive to the slightest changes in touch.
   But the other has it's own good points that make it enjoyable to play
   also.  Perhaps as I progress in skill and experience, the choice will
   become clearer.  Right now i wouldn't want to sell either one.

   Ned