I have worked with many musicians, and I can tell in a few moments if
their instrument will record well or not, and they usually are
interested, but unable to change it.
By the time the recording rolls around, it is too late.
And the sad thing is, that after awhile we imagine the sound to be
different than it is, and the recorded sound seems different.

On the other hand, if you like the lute, and are totally happy with
it, then all is well.
Funny how so many professionals change their lutes so often (there
are some notable exceptions)
I wonder how much of that is a recent recording experience, and the
lute is changed after the recording instead of before it.
I mean, if the pros can't pick a winner, what chance do we have? And
if advice were the important factor, who advised them?
I think a lot of it is fashion, mystique and so on. Otherwise there
would not be so many regional differences.

To be fair, I was taught that we do not choose our instruments, but
that they choose us.
And I believe that is true :)

dt