I have had my six-course since 1976 and my 13 course Lundberg Baroque
lute since about 1978. Original tops, and they still sound great. My
original Hugh Gough 8 course, from 1973, has gone through very
historic style conversions, first to 10 courses and now a small
archlute. My only significant "new" purchase was my "Chambure"
vihuela from Harris & Barber, 2002.

"have worked with many musicians, and I can tell in a few moments if
their instrument will record well or not, and they usually are
interested, but unable to change it.
By the time the recording rolls around, it is too late.
And the sad thing is, that after awhile we imagine the sound to be
different than it is, and the recorded sound seems different."

David- your recording/comparison set-up sounds very exciting to me,
and I would love to try it out, not because I can do anything about
what instruments I own, but to evaluate the sound- separating if
possible touch, technique, and stringing from the inherent &
immutable qualities of the wood. In particular, diapasons for my
archlute are driving me a little nuts- but the stringing on my
Baroque lute sounds so fabulous to me that I'd like to hear if that
is "real" or not.

Please email me off-list if we can arrange a date;

Thanks, Dan