David,

Do you change lutes often?  You are correct, in that many
professional players do so.

I have hung on to most of my instruments, as there are no perfect
instruments, or perfect players.  Ubkess there are serious issues
with a particular lute, I tend to try to coax the best out of my
instrument.  I suspect that after a period of time, many players hear
something in another lute, or they discover a minor undesirable
factor in one they have, and they move on.

At 03:28 AM 11/16/2009, David Tayler wrote:
>Funny how so many professionals change their lutes so often (there
>are some notable exceptions)
>I wonder how much of that is a recent recording experience, and the
>lute is changed after the recording instead of before it.
>I mean, if the pros can't pick a winner, what chance do we have? And
>if advice were the important factor, who advised them?

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street
Duluth, Minnesota  55812
e-mail:  e...@gamutstrings.com