To: "David van Ooijen" <davidvanooi...@gmail.com>
Cc: "lutelist Net" <Lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:13 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: another day at the office

Very, very nice David! And nice kind of an office you have... ;)

And the baroque guitar really suits and adds up to certain parts of the
Maria vespers by Monteverdi. No question of that instrument being
"inappropriate" to the sacred music of M's time and place! There are lots
and lots of sacred songs of those days that really are swinging dances! We
northern protestants just spoiled the joy of the music of the counter
reformation... Just some severe hymns sung badly in unison... And then
later the overly "serious" and un-joyful "passions" by a certain German
late baroque master, who since then have been raised as kind of semi-god of
music... ;-)

All best,

Arto

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:39:18 +0100, David van Ooijen