I am not a player of either theorbo or Baroque guitar.  But I've heard
   them in performances, and I've wondered how often the player has made
   the choice for the guitar simply because that way there is a chance it
   will be heard.  Sometimes the number of string players is too large, or
   they play on later style (and louder) instruments, or whatever.  But a
   theorbo among a string orchestra of even 3/3/2/1 on a part will simply
   not be heard in my listening experience.  But in the same context a
   guitar strummed hard and loudly, will at least contribute some
   rhythmic, percussive sound that will be heard. This seemed to be the
   reasoning in a performance of Monteverdi I heard awhile ago.  The solo
   arias had theorbo while the louder ensemble pieces with obbligato
   strings were played with guitar.  So perhaps if practically speaking
   this is how the choice gets made, we should look at some of the other
   performance practices that might not be quite what they should be.
   Just a thought from an audience member.
   Suzanne