----- Original Message -----
   From: "Susanne Herre" <[1]mandolinens...@web.de>
   To: "Lute List" <[2]l...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2010 9:43 AM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Francesco da Milano - Ness 33
   > Thank you for all your responses!
   >
   > Sorry I didn't write clearly.
   >
   > I know of three versions which were kindly given to me by David van
   Oijen:

   > - Siena Manuscript
   > - Intabolatura di Liuto di M. Francesco da Milano [...] Libro Terzo,
   > Gardano 1562
   > - Theatrum Musicum - Petrus Phalesius, Antuerpiensi 1571
   >
   > All these versions have the opening motif with a rhythm being
   > "semibreve-minima-minima"
   > I think it is strange to have an alternation of the motif as soon as
   in
   > the first imitation and I was thinking of any reason of notation /
   > printing problems.
   > But my theory also seems not to be very convincing because they could
   have
   > started the first imitation on an "upbeat" if they want to use bar
   lines.
   > On his CD of 2008 Hopkinson Smith plays the version written in Siena,
   > Gardano and Phalese.
   > It is very interesting, Jean-Marie, to know about this english
   version
   > with "corrected" opening motif.
   > If there are any other versions or theories - it would also be
   interesting
   > to know about that.
   >
   > Thanks to all,
   >
   > Susanne
   >>   >   >>   Dear lute lovers,
   >>   >   >>   What are your opinions about the beginning of Francesco
   da
   >>   Milano - Fantasia Ness 33 regarding the note value of the first
   note of
   >>   the first motif?
   >>   >   >>   My thoughts at the moment are that maybe it happened like
   this: Francesco wrote the piece without bar lines. When they tried to
   >>   >   print  it with bar lines it was not possible or not common to
   print
   >>   only an upbeat / a bar of half length. So they changed the rhythm
   to a
   >>   very common pattern so the motif could now fit into one bar.
   >>   >   >>   Could that be possible? Maybe that happened with other
   pieces
   >>   as well?
   >>   >   >>   Or maybe Francesco "had to" compose it like this because
   no
   >>   piece like a fantasia or ricercar would start with an upbeat?
   >>   >   >>   Best wishes,
   >>   >   >>   Susanne

   Dear Susanne and friends,

   Perhaps I might add a few comments appropriate to this discussion.
   Err, about 800 words about two notes.<g>

   A few years back I completed a collected edition of the music of
   Francesco da Milano, with which some of you are familiar. When I worked
   on that edition I assembled all known sources for Francesco's music,
   that is, altogether, some 640 pieces that were copied or printed into
   16th and early 17th sources.  That is standard working procedure in
   preparing a critical edition of music.  To determine the very best
   reading to use as a basic source, and to discover if other sources had
   corrections that might be incorporated into the basic reading, I
   collated all those 640+++ pieces.  For No. 33 the best source I had at
   that time was from the Intabolatura de Lauto, Libro Terzo (Venice;
   Antonio Gardane, 1547).  So I used it, although the rhythm of the first
   three notes seemed to garble the opening musical idea, Francesco's
   favored mi-fa-mi motive.  The motive dominates the entire ricercar and
   its companion No. 34. Why throw away a strong opening musical idea?
   Surely it was intended to be the same as the later imitation, three
   equal semibreves, rather than the semibreve-minim-minim of the Gardane
   exemplar (which found its way into so many later printed editions and
   manuscripts, as David van Ooijen showed us, in part).

   Six independent sources available to me at that time gave the reading
   which I suspected was the correct one, three long notes (semibreves) as
   in the answering points-of-imitation.  These included one ms copied in
   Florence and another in Lucca; a late, otherwise very corrupt
   "homophonic" version attributed to Diomedes Cato in the Hainhofer
   Lautenbuecher (ca. 1603), as well as the Cambridge manuscript cited by
   Jean-Marie--the latter is published as Appendix 4 in the FdaM edition.
   So I adopted the change, marking it with "[*]" to indicate the
   emendation was found in contemporary sources.  One source (the one from
   Lucca) even confirmed Susanne Herre's suspicions about an "upbeat" by
   inserting a rest before the first note. (Actually it's not quite an
   "upbeat" rather than a piece beginning on the second beat in triple
   meter, but as it comes down from Gardane falsely barred in duple.)

   One of the most lamented lost sources back then was an Intabulatura de
   lauto di M. Francesco Milanese et M. Perino [sic] Fiorentino, Libro
   Primo (Rome: Valerio Dorico & Lodovico fratello, M. D. LXVI).  I only
   had the first four folios (from an incomplete copy in a French
   library).  The original print run was probably about a thousand
   copies!  All thrown away when the music became outmoded. The incomplete
   copy included the table of contents demonstrating that it had the same
   contents as the later Gardane print.  The preface explained that the
   volume had been edited by Francesco student Pierino Fiorentino (d.
   1552) as a monument to his recently departed teacher. The fragmentary
   copy included three Francesco fantasias (Nos. 30-32). From those three
   pieces the importance of the Roman print was quite obvious.  The pieces
   were virtually without mistakes, were printed WITHOUT barlines (as
   Susanne guessed, and as I suspect was Francesco's preferred notation),
   and to show the polyphonic voice-leading, held notes were marked with
   numerous +'s (omitted in the Gardane print). And the strange longas
   with coronas (mentioned by David Tayler) at the END (but NOT at the
   beginning) are another Gardane appendage, and not contained in the
   authoritative Roman print.

   The Dorico publication surely represented the very best of Francesco's
   output, prepared under the watchful eye of his most distinguished
   student.  It was an authoritative source, the only legitimate one to
   come down to us.  But I only had a fragment of the print.

   Before World War II there had been one complete copy of the Dorico
   print in the Prussian State Library. (The original print run was
   probably about 1000 copies--all gone now.)  But as the bombs began to
   fall, it was said to have been sent for safekeeping with about a third
   of that library's rare music to the Fuerstenfeldbruck Castle in what is
   now Poland.  Rumors held that soldiers had found the cache, and after
   the war locals reported that they had seen soldiers burning books to
   keep warm (the cache had included the autograph finale to Beethoven's
   Ninth, and an act of Magic Flute in Mozart's hand, etc.).

   The rumors were fortunately false.  The collection was missing from the
   castle where the Germans had stored it, but had been moved around into
   various monasteries and castles, and finally came into the possession
   of the Polish government in Cracow.  The government considered the
   collection to be war reparations, and the cache's existence was not
   revealed until about 40 years after war's end.  The saga is told in
   Nigel Lewis, Paperchase: Mozart, Beethoven, Bach . . . The Search for
   Their Lost Music (London: Hamish Hamilton, 1981),  x + 246 pp.

   There were Francesco's Nos. 30-36, 38-42 in what must be considered
   their most authoritative readings. (Gardane misattributed No. 37 to
   Francesco, although it is correctly assigned to Pierino in the Dorico
   print.) It was the direct source for Gardane's 1547 edition. Without
   barlines the Dorico print has the correct note values at the beginning,
   three semibreves, not the semibreve-minim-minim of Gardane's pirated
   print, and all those which followed based on it.  In drawing the
   barlines, Gardane's editor or typesetter(?) misunderstood Susanne's
   "upbeat," treating it as a "downbeat," shortening the second and third
   notes to fit the notes to his perceived duple meter. So we even know
   the culprit: a hack in Gardane's print shop.

   There is no valid authority for the semibreve-minim-minim beginning for
   No. 33.