Susanne, David & All:
   I completely agree with David's thorough explanation.  The intent of
   the opening phase is established when the player introduces the idea of
   pulse.  Beginning with a longa allows you to draw the listener (even if
   it's only you and your cat) into the atmosphere of the piece.  Think of
   the dramatic gestures found in recercars of Spinacino and Dalza, and
   look forward in time to Francesco, rather than looking backward from
   the era of pleasing and tuneful etudes.
   Best,
   Ron Andrico
   www.mignarda.com