On Nov 20, 2011, at 7:07 AM, Monica Hall wrote:

> . I prefer the simplicity of a 13 course Baroque
>   lute; and I tell no one that I string my 6th course in unisons- direct
>   violation of Canon Law.)

A good many players seem to be unaware of such a law.  At an LSA some years
ago, when loaded gut was still novel, Jakob Lindberg did a concert on his
13-course in which he used a unison sixth course before intermission and
octaves after intermission.  Kathy Liddell "incubated" the after-intermission
string for him on her lute.