I wonder " It is focused around the high octave string on the fourth course and the same note stopped at the 3rd fret on the second course." How on earth do you produce the same note on the third fret on the second course. You mean fret 15 don't you?

No! Obviously you know nothing about the baroque guitar! The fourth course has two strings on it tuned an octave apart i.e. d on the middle line of the bass clef and the d below the lowest line of treble = d d'. The second course is b below middle c. When stopped at the 3rd fret it produces the note d' = the same as the high string on the fourth course...

Thanks for the rest of your advice which I shall follow.

Monica

Temperature or humidity related buzzing could be caused by a loose brace. Changes in humidity can cause the soundboard to deform slightly causing a brace which has become partially detached from it to rattle. But check all possible exterior causes first. Otherwise one might find nothing wrong after opening an onstrument. Anyway if everything is all right at the moment now is the time to make an appointment for july next year with your luthier of choice. In the mean time, Happy luting! Lex

Op 20 nov 2011, om 16:07 heeft Monica Hall het volgende geschreven:

  Hello Daniel

  Our musical correspondences on these lists have not crossed paths
  before (I am Baroque Guitar phobic- the stringing of 4th & 5th courses
  gives me cold chills. I prefer the simplicity of a 13 course Baroque
  lute; and I tell no one that I string my 6th course in unisons- direct
  violation of Canon Law.)

  You are not alone!

  " But right now it is fine so if I take it to the luthier he might
  wonder what I am banging on about."
  Sounds like a typical car problem- disappears in the presence of the
  mechanic, so  then you have to leave it overnight so he can try to
  start it up in the morning.

  Yes - I have a similar problem with my car.  One of the warning lights
  keeps coming on.   The garage has done "diagnostic checks" and say
  nothing wrong but the light still comes on at times.

  You'll have to wait for that interesting combo of Santa Ana wind and
  monsoon season (Aren't you in England?

  Yes - I live in inner London which has its own microclimate.   In the
  late summer we can have a heat wave and then the temperature can drop
  20 degrees over night.

  Hope this helps, at least with the broader perspective. We are not
  alone.

  Yes - that's very helpful and I am grateful for all the advice from
  other people too.   I plucked up my couraged and E-mailed a luthier who
  did some repairs for me a few years ago.   I'll see what if anything he
  suggests.

  Best wishes

  Monica

    [Eugene C. Braig IV] Do be mindful that all manner of things can
    cause

    buzzing, from strings buzzing along lumpy frets to loose glue joints
    along

    structural seams to damaged/loose braces etc. ad infinitum.  Do get
    it

    checked out, but stay open-minded regarding possible causes.

    Best,

    Eugene

  Thank you for all the advice.   It is very helpful.  The problem is -
  and the reason why I so far haven't done anything about it - is because
  it is definitely seasonal.   Fine for 10 months of the year and
  gradually getting worse through July and August when we often have hot
  weather followed by heavy rain. And then suddenly perfectly OK again.
    It is also pitch related.   It is focused around the high octave
  string on the fourth course and the same note stopped at the 3rd fret
  on the second course.   But right now it is fine so if I take it to the
  luthier he might wonder what I am banging on about.
  I don't think it is strings or frets.   Any other ideas will very
  welcome.
  Monica