Daniel Winheld wrote, rather virtuosically:

> Howard, you of all people should know that ignorance of the law is no excuse!
> But I did exaggerate. 6th course unison on a Baroque lute is only an
> equipment violation. Officer Ed Martin of the LSAPD pulled me over a few
> years and issued me a fix-it ticket.  I have never gotten a speeding ticket
> except on the Renaissance lute, where I've been known to put the pedal to the
> medal occasionally. Don't even mention PUI violations!
>
> It's obvious that Jakob was deliberately skirting the letter of the law &
> subverting the mores of polite society by having a glamorous & famous female
> "Octave Incubater" in his employ, a dubious practice most often connected to
> the decadent European elite.
>
> Or he is just an incredibly dedicated & resourceful musician. What do I know?

More than me.  I don't even recall which music Jakob thought required a unison
6th course and which required the octaves.  I think the program was all French,
which would explain my ignorance/lack of memory.  Maybe he used the unisons for
Berlioz, Gounod and Debussy.  But doesn't Boulez need octaves?