From: Daniel Winheld <dwinh...@comcast.net>
   To: howard posner <howardpos...@ca.rr.com>
   Cc: Lutelist LUTELIST <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2011 7:10 PM
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Buzzing [was "Gut strings"]
   Hi-I often practice this technique--playing only the 6th course
   fundamental with the index finger. Then you can have the best of both
   worlds.

   --Sterling

   Seriously, in Weiss I have encountered situations where the part
   writing is destroyed (to my ears) by the 6th course octave string going
   above a low lying treble line. And in some cases that 6th course note
   is a middle voice, making it all the more difficult to play only the
   fundamental and not the octave.
   When I need the sound of a 6th course octave, I can often refinger the
   note on the 7th course.
   Dan
   On Nov 20, 2011, at 4:59 PM, howard posner wrote:
   > Daniel Winheld wrote, rather virtuosically:
   >
   >> Howard, you of all people should know that ignorance of the law is
   no excuse! But I did exaggerate. 6th course unison on a Baroque lute is
   only an equipment violation. Officer Ed Martin of the LSAPD pulled me
   over a few years and issued me a fix-it ticket.  I have never gotten a
   speeding ticket except on the Renaissance lute, where I've been known
   to put the pedal to the medal occasionally. Don't even mention PUI
   violations!

   >> It's obvious that Jakob was deliberately skirting the letter of the
   law & subverting the mores of polite society by having a glamorous &
   famous female "Octave Incubater" in his employ, a dubious practice most
   often connected to the decadent European elite.

   >> Or he is just an incredibly dedicated & resourceful musician. What
   do I know?

   > More than me.  I don't even recall which music Jakob thought required
   a unison 6th course and which required the octaves.  I think the
   program was all French, which would explain my ignorance/lack of
   memory.  Maybe he used the unisons for Berlioz, Gounod and Debussy.
   But doesn't Boulez need octaves?