On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:08:58 -0500, Garry Warber wrote
> I second William.  I hesitate to jump in on these mysteries, but in
> my makers years I actually never saw a loose-brace caused buzz...

Strange - I had three instruments with braces comming of, all of them
had a noticeable buzz who only showed up at certain pitch levels and
in certain weather (or, more precise) humidity conditions. Same happend
to some of my friends' instruments.

> Most were from some bridge problem, and as I was a classic guitar
> guy, mainly ill-fitting bridge bones.

And you really want to compare guitar bracing with lute bracing? I
_never_ saw a loose guitar brace (I assume we talk about modern guitar
here, no bridge bones on real ones ;-)

My failsafe test for looses braces: take a tuning fork (preferably a
heavier one, like a low C fork), strike it, put the end on the sound
board and run it along the center and the sides of the top.

 Cheers, RalfD

> If you have one of those
> reverse-funnel rosettes it would make me suspect there.  If it is a
> carved lute rose, then a split or splinter there.  Buzzing can be a
> real mystery to find! Garry
>
> Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 11:06 AM
> To: lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
> Subject: [LUTE] Re: Buzzing [was "Gut strings"]
>
>    Hi Monica,
>
>    A couple of things you might check (though you may well have done
> so   already) - Loose string ends at the peghead or the bridge -
> these   could shift around with humidity changes.  Don't want to
> worry you, but   I had some intractible buzzing on one of my lutes
> that eventually   resolved itself when the bridge flew off.
> Fortunately it came off   cleanly and was easily fixed.  Anyway - No
> harm in looking closely at   the lower edge of the bridge to see if
> there's any sign of it wanting   to part company with the
> soundboard.  It's best to eliminate the easy   things before
> undertaking more complicated investigations.
>
>    Not a guitar person myself, particularly, but I'd have thought
> that   these fancy rosettes are a place where buzzing might be
> located too -   some little bit of parchment waggling like a tuning
> fork maybe?  Again,   that could be influenced by humidity.  Then
> again there are the inlays

R. Mattes -
Hochschule fuer Musik Freiburg
r...@inm.mh-freiburg.de